Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Forgotten No More

Since I've been such an absent blogger lately I have lots of long finished things to show off.  The problem is...I can't remember what they are!!  So I guess I will just have to post about them as I come across them :).  Today's forgotten find is my Wonderland Bag.  It was the April bag for the Big City Bags SAL. 

I did have many, many issue with this bag.  Some of them were of my own making, some not. 

First let me say that I love the fabrics I chose!  I overall I like the design of the bag.


 
 
 Now onto some of the problems:

#1- The pattern calls for manufactured straps.  My local stores didn't carry any in the correct size and I didn't like the ones that they did have enough to try to make them work.

#2- I decided to just make my own cloth straps but I didn't have enough fabric for my straps and I really didn't want to go to the store.  So I used some ribbon I had left over from another project.  It's not very pretty, but it worked. 


 #3-  I really loved this polka dot fabric and was determined to make the piping out of it despite the fact that I've never made piping before. 

#4- I thought I could figure out how to make piping.  Should have Googled it : /!  It does not sit flush against the bag and just looks cheap and poorly made.

#5- Installation of the zipper was not pretty.  I am typically pretty good at zippers and am not really sure what went wrong here except that the end result looks like someone is puckering their lips (best way I can think to describe it).  Needless to say the zipper flaps DO NOT lay flat and look pretty silly.  Pretty sure this is my fault and has nothing to do with the fabric.


#6-  The bottom piece of the bag is too small for the exterior and therefore creates a pucker.  I read about another person who had the same problem so this is an error in the pattern and if you are making one I highly recommend adding a 1/2" to the length of your bottom piece when cutting it.  I could fix this fairly easily...I just haven't had the time and frankly, I'm not sure it's worth the effort with all of the other issues. 


I got so frustrated with this bag that I never actually finished it.  All of the interior pieces are inside of the bag.  They are already cut and would be quick and simply to put together.  I just haven't gotten to the point that I can start working on it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment