Thursday, April 18, 2013

Finally Some Finishes!

Granted, none of these are WIPs so that list is as long as ever, but it still felt good to finish something.

Without further ado I present you with my new bag.  The Aeroplane Bag by Sara at Sew Sweetness...


For this bag I decided to go with the regular size.  Originally I had very different plans for the fabric.  I wanted to use a different Echino print for the main exterior (black with multi-colored animals in frames), the pink deer as the bottom part and the same fabrics for the interior lining and straps.


When I got home from picking up the interior (Washi) and strap (?) fabrics I realized I only had a half yard of the black and a whole yard of the pink (instead of the other way around like I thought).  So after trying to figure out if I could alter the pattern a bit to make it work, I decided to dig in my stash to see if I could come up with something else.  On a whim I bought the black text fabric online awhile back and hadn't found a use for it yet and it was perfect!  I already had the 24" gray zipper left over from another project that never was and the small black zipper was one of hundreds I keep around :).


I felt kind of bad about it, but I fussy cut one of the deer portraits from the black fabric to use as a cell phone pocket. I did change the pockets from the ones in the pattern.  I kept one of the zippered pockets but made it smaller and off to the side, added a cell phone pocket and made a large divided pocket on the opposite side. 

All in all I'm thrilled with my new bag, and I'm thinking I should make a patchwork version of the larger bag using fussy cuts from the black Echino and some other scraps.  And a matching wallet is definitely a must!

Another small finish is my March block for the Sugar Club BOM.  I've printed the template for the April block and hope to be caught up in it this weekend.


I've had quite a bit of fun shopping lately so I'll be sharing those purchases with you tomorrow ;)

Even though there's nothing that random about my post, I'm joining the fun over at Really Random Thursday and TGIFF!

8 comments:

  1. That is one great bag! And I look forward to seeing what new gems you bought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your bag! I really enjoyed all the little details you put into it, like the vertically-striped straps and the deer cell phone pouch! Truly awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty bag. Great fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gogeous bag. A patchwork version sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete