Monday, December 10, 2012

Manly Fabrics?

I have been hounding my brother lately about helping me to find some masculine fabrics. I have been toying with the idea of making a quilt for him and I also would like to make some quilts in the future that are geared a little more toward men. Every line that I have showed him that I thought might work has gotten a laugh. I finally thought to show him the Mario Quilts that I keep seeing pop up in blogland. As a self processed computer geek, he LOVED them! Soooo, now I have another quilt to add to my current list of works in progress. I simply have to figure out which characters I want to include and get to work. His birthday is at the end of March and his house should be almost done being built at that time so it may be a combination birthday and housewarming gift.
I didn't get much time to sew this weekend as The Husband was out of town, but I did get to spend some quality time with Squeak. We went to a birthday party that was held at a local cheer gym and Squeak even made a little friend, J, who we will be setting up a play date with in the near future.
 

Then we headed to the local Deluxe Indie Craft Fair.  It was even better than I had hoped.  It was supposed to be a scouting mission but I did break down and buy a couple of things.  All of the items are handmade and it is a juried show so I'm thinking it might be a little more my style than some of the shows I've gone to in the past.  Now I just have to make some items to submit cross my fingers.  I've already started compiling a list of the items I would like to take.  The booths were very small and cramped so I will have to take limited inventory.  I did also find some great vendors that I look forward to buying from in the future.
 
The Husband is due back tonight and I will be able to get back to work again.  I've fallen behind on all of my orders (and everything else, eek!) so I need to get caught up and I really want to finish my How Far Will You Go Quilt this week.

I did rearrange a little from the original layout (I didn't want any of the same blocks near each other if at all possible) and I still have 2 20" blocks and 2 10" blocks.  After a trip to JoAnn's to get more pink fabric, as well as some of the dark brown for the backing, and batting and I'm all set to finish it up.  I am ashamed to say I have been using the polyester batting in my previous projects but I have upgraded to a soft, dense cotton for this quilt. 

 
I've made a little progress on some other small projects, but more on those later this week :)

2 comments:

  1. I have the exact same problem..a brother who I want to make a quilt for, for his new home he is building and little to no help in choice of fabric from him.. brothers..gotta love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your QAL blocks together! It's going to be gorgeous! I'll be interested to see what manly fabrics you find - maybe try Parson Gray? With three boys in our house I'm going to need a manly stash, lol!

    ReplyDelete